All Sales







Klover Products

What Do I Do If My Camera Doesn’t Provide “Plug-In” Power?

Beachtek MicroPro amplifier

Post category


Comment count

Post author

Paul Terpstra

Publish date


You have four options if your camera, or recorder, doesn’t provide “plug-in” power. (In basic terms, “plug-in” power is a small voltage applied to the microphone connector that powers the microphone’s internal components.)

The first option is to use a self-powered microphone. This is a microphone that has its own battery that powers the microphone’s electrical components.

The second option is to use an in-line battery pack that can be used with a standard microphone. We have tested the battery pack from Microphone Madness and it performed well for us. We can provide this battery pack along with your Sound Shark upon request.

The third option is to use a pre-amp along with your standard microphone. The pre-amp not only provides the required voltage Beachtek MicroPro amplifierfor the microphone’s electronics but also includes a built-in amplifier. We have found that this amplifier provides better audio quality than the amplifier built into our cameras. This is especially true in quiet situations where electronic noise, or hiss, is most noticeable. Our professional kits include an-line amplifier with either a 3.5mm TRS microphone or a XLR microphone. We really like this combination.

The fourth option is to use a mixer. The mixer will provide the same functions as the pre-amp but will allow you to bring in multiple microphones into your camera.  We would suggest considering the and Beachtek unit.

Interested in learning more about our products?

Klover Products is now a leading manufacturer of parabolic microphones. The KLOVER MiK is used across the globe – trusted by major networks, such as FOX, CBS, and ESPN, as well as universities and government agencies.